Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sunday Reflections: National Geographic's Hardcore Hobbies

I recently came across National Geographic's new TV series Hardcore Collectors. It certainly sheds a dark light on collectors, I'm not sure what to think of it. I do agree that any collection can get out of hand and that family comes before collecting. I also believe it is possible to have a large collection and not have it affect your quality of life as long as it is organized and doesn't create a financial strain. I do feel like collectors are largely misunderstood and, though my collection of varied junk isn't huge, people often look at me like I have 2 heads when I try to explain that I collect toys.



Has anyone else watched the series? What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Checks and balances Mason....I keep collection of things confined to one or two shelves and am constantly getting rid of items and replacing them with others so I will never fall into the trap like some folks can with there collecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound advise John. I'm trying to let go of some things lately and bring in some new. Collecting is way more fun that way I have found! :)

      Delete
  2. I pretty much follow the same philosophy as John. I like to keep everything contained within one cabinet, and do my best to fund any purchases by selling off other things. It keeps me from spending any "real" money on items that pretty much just sit on a shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, don't put too much weight in that episode Mason. The first segment was definitely heavily scripted, as Grim has continued buying toys and posting videos with the help of his family. Going by his newer videos, his collection has only gotten larger.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I heard that this was pretty scripted, all these type of reality shows are. It's just so weird that national Geographic is scripting reality shows! I guess they're desperate for ratings.

      I do like the idea of limiting the shelf space of the collection. The worst is when I buy something and then i can't even find it a few days later! I drive myself crazy when I do that!

      Delete
    3. They're cheaper to produce. You don't have to pay big money for celebrity actors, and you don't have to worry about building sets. Just hire a production crew, edit the footage, and voila!

      Of course, the same could be said for documentaries and factual programs too.

      Delete