Monday, October 17, 2016

Pop Culture League Challenge: Are you scared?

Last week, the League was all about Zombies, and we’re going to continue with the Halloween theme this week with a topic suggested by Calvin’s Canadian Cave of Cool. This week’s challenge to the Pop Culture League is…  

Are you scared?

What frightens you the most?
What frightens me the most?  This thing...


This ghost still haunts my nightmares.  The story is a bit silly, but still quite disturbing.  For some reason this image, of all the frightening images from the Scary Stories series, has been cemented into my psyche.  Stephen Gammell is a genius, a dark dark genius.

Does anyone else remember these books?  What images or stories messed you up?  Tell me in the comments below!

What scares other League member?  Find out below:



9 comments:

  1. I do remember this- was this off an old LP? the voice sounds really familiar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember this- was this off an old LP? the voice sounds really familiar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where the audio is from, but I remember the books and illustrations vividly! This story was from the 3rd book, Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones. The first book was published in 1981.

      Delete
  3. Ok ironically, I am reviewing some of the stories from this very book next week on my blog. Might have to skip this particular story in it though. lol. That image is spooky.

    On the topic of this series, I had been looking forever for any for under a buck and found this one at Goodwill and knew i'd be reviewing a few tales from it right then. I might buy the collected book with all the series in it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice find! If I ever found those for a buck I would for sure snatch 'em up! Some new versions replaced the art work, which is a total shame avoid those versions.

      Delete
  4. I heard Guillermo del Toro is trying to turn these books into movies! CAN'T WAIT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, that would be nuts! He should, he's the perfect director for something like that!

      Found this: http://io9.gizmodo.com/guillermo-del-toros-scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-a-1761285188

      Delete
  5. Definitely remember these. I believe in one of them is a story called "The Viper" which is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yeah, I remember that one! One of the funnier ones, haha!

      Delete