Monday, March 9, 2015

Man Crate's Retro Gaming Crate: Nostalgia Overload!

I was recently contacted by the good peoples of ManCrates.com. They read an old post of mine from Count Down to Halloween 2014, the Boss's Day post  where I celebrated Boss's Day by listing my top 10 favorite Halloween worthy video game bosses of all time. It really took them back to the good old days, so they asked if I would be willing to share some sweet nostalgic video game memories. It's not Nintendo Month yet, but I never turn down an opportunity to talk gaming!


I could go on forever about games of yesteryear, but I want to really focus on the one game that started it all, a game that everyone but the oldest and crankiest have at least tried playing for a few minutes. I'm talking about that legendary 3-in-1, Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, and World Class Track Meet, ah yeah!


I can, will, and have beaten you Nintendo! HA!

My brother and I played the crap out of that game! The game came with the Nintendo Entertainment System and it was the most amazing thing ever! Beating Super Mario Brothers was one of the greatest accomplishments of my 6 year-old life! I beat that beast without warping, cuz that's cheating sucker! Of course there was no way to save your progress, so if you died, that was it, you're starting over! I can't tell you how many times I would pause the game and turn of the TV only to come back and find out my Mom had turn it off. NOOOOOOOO! 


 "End of the line. Moment of truth. Eighth level of Mario Brothers!"
-Ernest P. Worrell, Ernest Scared Stupid


Duck Hunt was amazing, we all know it! The game was totally ingenious, even though I totally cheated by putting the Zapper right up to the screen, just to just that dog up! 

SHUUUUUT UUUUUP!!!!

I still can't believe that brought that little stinker back in Super Smash Bros. 4! Everyone was to shoot that dog, he's the ultimate troll character!

Then there was that amAZing Clay Shooting game! Okay, I admit that was kind of boring, but i still played for hours!


And holy CRAP, World Class Track Meet!!! I miss that game so much! The game came with running pad...A FREAKING POWER PAD PEOPLE! I discovered that the track pad could be used for other games too! Of course there was no D-pad, so the novelty soon wore off, but still! We cheated a lot when it came to the long jump, but we didn't use our hands when it came to running. I became a pro at the "twinkle toes" technique, I was a blur! I kicked Cheetah's butt!


Watch as this random dude in a college dorm room demonstrates the twinkle toes technique as he races against Cheetah. Truly captivating!

One of my greatest regrets was selling the NES running pad along with all our other NES stuff. It was a dark day.

The Man Crate Retro Crate!!!


I was recently introduced to Man Crate, which has some seriously sweet stuff, but the Retro Box by far takes the cake! Just look at it!


 SWEEEEET!


The NES was the best gaming console ever!

If I could choose the random NES games that come with the crate I would pick Bandai's Family Fitness Stadium Events and the Nintendo World Championships Gold cartridge, for obvious reasons.

The candy selection is rather nice, but I would change a few things:
-Retro Nintendo PEZ instead of a modern dispenser
-Nintendo and/or Atari candy tins
-I would trade out the Mike & Ikes, Bottle Caps, Now and Laters, and Jaw Busters for Starbursts, Airheads, Skittles, and Jolly Ranchers 
-Some Nintendo toys and/or plushies thrown in for good measure

Go check out the Retro Gamer Crate, Super Retro Gamer Crate and the rest of their cool gifts!








4 comments:

  1. Neat-O and i totally agree with you on the candies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The possibility of melting was the only thing that kept me from wanting to sub Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. :)

      Delete
  2. I've been drooling over those crates ever since I stumbled across them. One of my biggest regrets was selling off my original NES. I may have enjoyed the SNES and Genesis, but most of my fun was on that little gray box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NES was amazing! Sure, there were hundreds of crappy games, but there were several gold nuggets hidden amongst them! Even games that weren't that great are still awesome to me as I wear nostalgic blinders.

      I am currently "seeking revenge" on the crazy hard games I couldn't beat back in the day by attempting to beat them in my adult years. Ghosts & Goblins, Battle Toads, & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to name a few.

      Delete