Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I Have Joined The League Of Extraordinary Bloggers!




Cool & Collected is recovering from a minor meltdown that occurred last week, and I figured it was as good a time as any to redesign the site to accommodate all those new-fangled gadgets and tablets. (Responsive website design is mind-boggling!) That being said, we’re going on a two-week hiatus while I get things squared away. Now, that doesn’t mean you have a two weeks off, it just means you will have two weeks to tackle the new League challenge. Kevin at Team Hellions came up with this idea and I think it is long overdue…


Hello, my name is… Tell us a little about yourself — even if we all know who you are, there are plenty of new folks wondering if you’re in fact a dog.

Hello, my name is Mason John, and I'm a toyaholic. 


I have a lovely wife named Laura and a cute little 8 month old daughter named Ava. Laura loves reading Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels and loves video games. Ava is an avid biter and crawls around like a racing snail. We were both born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah. This really is the place. We are Latter-Day Saints, more commonly known as Mormons. I served a 2 year mission in the Philippines in Angeles City. I loved it there, the people are so kind and hospitable. While I was there I learned the local language, Tagalog. Shout out to all my Pinoy peeps: Ang galing galing ng mga Pinay 't Pinoy! I really miss the Philippines and all the friends I made there, and I want to return some day. Whenever I find something made in the Philippines I have to have it! Unless it's just too darn expensive, in which case I'll pass, cuz I'm a poor penny pincher.

Ever since I was a wee lad I loved shopping at the "D.I." (short for Deseret Industries, a thrift store and donation center owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) for sweet band T-shirts, fanny packs, cool tapes, and other such treasures. In the movie Napoleon Dynamite (best movie ever!) Napoleon frequents his local DI and finds some awesome stuff, including that legendary suit! 

Since I love the DI so much I thought it would be fun to start a little blog featuring my epic finds. I can't write worth a hill of beans, nor can I spell, I swear I have A.D.D. to some degree, and I can barely use a computer, but I thought, "What the hey, it's just for fun!" So here I am, the last person on earth you would expect to blog about anything.

I was born in the 80's, so naturally I like most anything from the 80's and 90's. I also love antiques. Old stuff just has a nice broken in feel, I like that. I caught the collecting bug from my dad. He collects EVERYTHING from buttons to barbed wire. Seriously, barbed wire! I didn't realize there were so many types of barbed wire until I saw his impressive collection.


List O' Stuff I love:
Movies
Books
Trading Cards 
Pogs
X-Men
LOTR
MOTU
Disney
Star Wars
Star Trek
Spawn
Hell Boy
Dr. Who
Video Games old and new
LEGO, mini figures, action figures, and toys of all kinds
Antiques
Interior Design, gardening, and Landscaping
Candy, Gum, and Mints
Cereal, Cartoons, and Pop Tarts
Bugs and spiders
Halloween
Pop Culture
Comics (American Splender, X-Men, Tales From The Crypt)

This list certainly doesn't cover everything, but it's a good start. What things are you guys all obsessed with? Tell me in the comments below!

Enough about me, go check out these other members of The LOEB





Do you like weird things? Do you like toys? If you answered yea to these questions then you'll love weirdotoys.com. Check it out!

Do you have a burning question about the man behind this teeny tiny blog? Don't be shy, ask away in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so disregard my other comment on your other blog about not knowing to post feedback... duh!
    So, yeah. I like what you're doin here. I'm a born again believer, myself :) Jesus ALL the way, Mason. What have I without His grace and redemption? Nothing...and what I think I have is fading away. So yes, I blog about "treasures" but my real treasure is where my heart is. In Him.... And Napolean Dynamite is the only movie I ever went to theater alone to watch. And I laughed out loud (really loud) the whole time. It was soooo relatable, finally a geek who was not just a crazy exaggerated stereotype! We all know someone like Napolean. Mine was a guy named Johnny and I swear, that movie was based on his life ;) I remember dangling toys out the bus window and thinkin we were so cool...I could talk about this for a lot longer but really, I'll stop.
    And that list of interests... yeah, everything ;)
    Lookin forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister! Everything I am and everything I have I owe to Christ Jesus! There are 2 types of people in this world, those who love Napoleon Dynamite and those who hate Napoleon Dynamite. I'm glad you are the first type! I am very lucky to have my Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre DVDs signed by Jared and Jerusha Hess! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. I really don't know what I'm doing, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants, but it sure is fun.

      Thanks and God bless you and your family!

      Delete